Smooth-running organisations generally have a single entity at the core of operations to function as the driving force. At the Translation Centre, this is the role of the Translation Support Department.
This Department consists of the Workflow Management Section, the Advanced Language Solutions Section and the Interinstitutional IATE Group.
Workflow Management Section
The Workflow Management Section is responsible for the orderly processing of all language service requests at the Centre, from receipt of the request through to delivery of the final product. The Centre works largely with framework contracts.
The members of the Section are responsible for:
- receiving, analysing and validating requests, if necessary through negotiation with clients;
- assigning translation, revision, editing and terminology jobs to in-house and freelance translators;
- ensuring that files for translators are in editable form and that documents for clients are correctly formatted prior to delivery;
- using language technology tools for full pre-treatment of [CdT1] incoming files;
- ensuring that all jobs are returned to the requestor by the agreed deadline and in the required form;
- compiling the information needed to invoice the services provided;
- handling client feedback via the Corrected Version Request (CVR) functionality.
The section is also the business owner of the Client Portal.
The section provides linguistic and technical support to translators throughout the translation workflow. Furthermore, it provides training courses in the various fields it covers (e.g. use of technology).
Advanced Language Solutions Section
The Advanced Language Solutions Section consists of several sub-groups:
- the Language Technology Team, which monitors trends and innovations related to the linguistic services [CdT1] business, analyses how the Centre can best help its clients meet their communication needs and develops and supports machine translation and automatic speech recognition services;
- the Terminology Management Team, which supplies and maintains specialised language resources and tools in the field of terminology;
- the EU Trade Marks and Designs Team, which manages the entire workflow for the translation of EU trade marks and designs;
- the Project Management Office (PMO), which coordinates strategic projects across the Centre’s different departments and sections, thus ensuring that effective business solutions are successfully and sustainably implemented, leading to improved services both for clients and in-house staff.
Interinstitutional IATE Group
The Interinstitutional IATE Group and the EurTerm (interinstitutional collaborative platform for terminologists) coordinator are hosted by the Centre on behalf of the IATE project partners.